Monday 24 November 2008

How fire feeds inspiration

Weekend just gone was all about warming up the home and the spirit, quite literally, as we officially made our first log fire after only one single and 'smoky' attempt in the past. Luckily it only gave warmth and a pleasant sheltered feeling this time, along with the winter comforting smell, sounds and pictures: that of the burning, crackling wood, and that of smoke going up our chimney - just like the story books with winter pictures.

On a day like this, I didn't even want to leave the room. I kept staring at the fire, watching the playful smoke and sprites dancing randomly before they were sucked up by the cold wind above our house, it felt so idyllic and so inspiring that I wanted to keep the warmth theme by baking bread for the rest of the day - a Saturday that felt so peaceful and so filled with homely cosiness.

I didn't want to let the inspiration go. So I prepared ideas for making an art journal in the style of this but also took delight in reading from this page that I found by chance in an attempt to put together a few workshop activities for my country's national celebration feast planned for the Sunday coming.

I was so filled with joy to see that someone out there finds the energy and time to write genuinely true, authentic and prideworthy things about my home place. I shall go back to those pages, making sure I have a warm log fire warming up my readings!..

No comments: